Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Urgent Help Needed for E. Herbert



Update: The campaign to reinstate Eddie was successful!  Channel 7 run a story on how Inverness Forest residents were able to get Eddie back his job.  Lots of footage of our townhouses too.  Here is the link to the TV segment:


http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0210/710307_video.html?ref=newsstory

Adele Gravitz has started a campaign to have the Washington Post newspaper deliverer, Eddie Herbert, reinstated after his superior fired him for, it is alleged, not delivering newspapers during the blizzard. Adele writes:



Dear Inverness Forest Community,

Eddie just knocked at my door to say good-bye explaining that he was fired from his job of delivering our Washington Post newspapers for "not showing up to work for 10 days" during the blizzard!  This is the man who never missed a day since 1974!   This is the man who finds lost things and returns them to us.  This is the man who shoveled my walk during the blizzard.  Did he shovel yours?  This is the man who silently cares for our community hours before any one of us is awake.

We must help him and here is how:

I propose we rally behind him in the voice of ONE solid community  and tell the distributor that if he does not hire Eddie  back, immediately, and with back lost wages, we--the entire Inverness Forest Community --- will cancel our Washington Post home delivery subscriptions.

This action  should get the attention of the distributor who fired him. 

I hope you will support this idea.  Please send me an email saying that unless Edward Herbert is rehired to deliver his entire former route,  the household at INSERT YOUR ADDRESS will suspend home delivery of the Washington Post.

Let's all remember that the Federal Government shut down, metro took days to be up and running, and sidewalks are still blocked.  If Eddie could not get here-- there was a darn good reason.

We must help him.

Sincerely,

Adele

Adele Gravitz, ASLA
StudioCattail
Landscape Architecture
8121 Inverness Ridge Road
Potomac, Maryland 20854

email: ahgravitz@aol.com

Adele added the following thought: 

I left a message for Steve telling him I plan to rally the entire community 
to stop their home delivery of the Post until Edward Herbert gets his job back, including any lost wages.

If you want to contact Eddie's boss:

Steve Curtin
1-301-604-6233
agent2104@washpost.com  


If you have any comments you'd like to share on this issue with the rest of the community, please click the word "Comment" below.


Harvey

iftblog@gmail.com
---------------------



4 comments:

Elise Vernick said...

I am shocked to read what happened. I think this guy is wonderful. Ifully support your efforts to reinstate him.

Elise Vernick
8042 IRR

Adele Gravitz said...

I just talked to Eddie and he said to tell everyone , "Bless You" for helping him. Adele

Adele Gravitz said...

Tonight ( 2/25) on Channel 7 between 5 and 7 PM, Edward Herbert's story is covered. Thank you Inverness for all your support! Will keep you posted. Adele

Adele Gravitz said...

Please, can someone clarify my Washington Post Questions for me?

My Washington Post Bill:

Has anyone looked at their Washington Post bill lately? I see two different rates for 8 weeks of service: $37.65 as well as $56.90.

On another mathematical note, how can 12 weeks of service cost $75.73 but 24 weeks cost $132.20. Does it say somewhere on the bill that paying more weeks in advance reduces the average cost of your home delivery subscription rate?

When I called the Post ( not the distributor), the operator told me taxes accounted for the difference. Humm, ok, that went nowhere.

Tipping Eddie:

When I wrote to Mr. Curtin yesterday to ask for receipts for the tips I sent in for Eddie, I was informed to contact the WashPost, directly. But I am sure I have been sending my checks to Mr. Curtin-- direcctly. Am I mistaken? When I called the Wash Post, today, I was told to ask Steve Curtin.

If anyone can clarify this for me, I am curious
Thank you
Adele