Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Online Delivery of the Minutes has Finally Arrived!

I know, I know, we actually have had the minutes online for more than a year. The entire set can be found on the IFA website (see link in sidebar at the right). The board has decided to use "e-delivery" as the primary means of distribution. Many of you have asked when we will stop wasting paper and just deliver the minutes online. The answer is that, starting with the July board minutes, we will not be distributing paper copies (see exception below). I personally appreciate this decision since I have delivered the paper copies to every house on the Deborah Dr. side for the past few months.

So, now we will be saving paper (trees), money, and shoe leather. We have reached "critical mass" with over 180 names on the email distribution notification list. I will continue to send out an email to everyone on the email list with a link to newly posted minutes.

Here is the exception I mentioned. What should we do about those remaining people who are not yet part of our online community and therefore won't see the notifications when the minutes are added to our website? For the moment, the board has decided that we will deliver paper minutes to them.

In the future we will explore other methods of getting the minutes out to people who don't have online access. One idea is to ask people who need paper copies to act as distribution points for others who also need paper copies.

I'd like to hear suggestions from you about how to get paper copies to people without online access. Please add your suggestions as a comment to this posting or send me an email with your ideas.

Equally important is how to sign up the remainder of the Inverness Forest Community so that they can participate in accessing the minutes online, as well as reading Inverness Forest Today, the IFA website, and the message board. I have spent a lot of time this past year knocking on doors and requesting email addresses of residents. Almost everyone I asked has provided an email address, which is why our online community numbers over 180. I will continue to knock on doors, but I have some ideas about how to speed things up. But I'll save that for another post.

Here is a teaser for my next post: did you know that the amount of money you paid for your house is public knowledge and available online on a State of Maryland website?

Harvey

ifatreasurer@mac.com

No comments: