Thursday, January 1, 2009

Chimney Cleaning Recommendation Requested

Happy New Year!

Inverness Resident Jack Christian has a problem with his chimney backing up and would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a reliable person or business that he can contact. If you have a recommendation, please send me an email, or better yet, add a comment to this post. If you send me an email, I'll be happy to create a comment so that others with a similar problem can benefit.

Please see the Home repair and improvement section of the message board on the IFA website. I'll post all recommendations there.

Here is Jack's email:

Harvey,

Our chimney is backing up. Do you know of a reliable person or business that has worked on Inverness chimneys? We have never had any problem with ours, but perhaps there is a bird’s nest clogging the flue.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Jack Christian
10867 Deborah Drive

Please click on "Comments" (below) to read recommendations from other residents.
Harvey
ifatreasurer@mac.com

4 comments:

Harvey Levine said...

Sally Tate has kindly provided the following information:

For many years I have used Steve Coates of Chimney Masters to maintain my chimney/fireplace and add a cap so no critters can seek refuge there.

301-972-9158 please feel free to use me as a reference. Good luck

Sally Tate 10955 DD 301-983-0236

Harvey Levine said...

Stephanie Cooperstein sent me an email with a recommendation. Thanks Stephanie for your recommendation.

Stephanie wrote:

Hi Harvey,
My recommendation for a chimney person---I used Pridy Clean Cleaners last year--they did a nice job of cleaning & offered a discount.
Steph

Harvey Levine said...

Pat Gillespie sent me an email with a warning about the construction of our original fireplaces. Here are her comments:

Harvey-

We had an architect here in my courtyard several years ago. His roof caught fire and during the afternath Steve discovered that the flue tiles installed in many of the chimneys were substandard and causing the fires. Remember the mass of fires before 1996?? I wouldn't encourage anyone in an interior unit to use
an original fireplace. They should get a good engineer or building inspector to check thoroughly before use.

Pat Gillespie

Harvey Levine said...

Jack Christian sent me an email thanking everyone for their assistance and updating us on his progress:


Harvey,

We tried to call Coates but there was no answer. Then called Priddy Clean Cleaners in Bethesda and they were out here within the hour. The problem seemed to be a buildup of soot in the narrow chimney.
Thank you for your assistance and for the replies from Ms. Tate, Ms. Cooperstein and Ms. Gillespie.

Jack